Thursday, July 9, 2009

1975 "Cracked" Planet Of The Apes TV show spoof

In 1975, I was 16 years young, and the biggest thing in my life at that time (aside from Star Trek) was the Apes movies and the new TV series based on them. I was excited to find this "Cracked" magazine, issue #123, in March of that year, and read it as I walked back home. The cover art and the inside spoof were done by Severin, as usual with his spot-on caricatures and accurately detailed costumes and sets. The cover, oddly enough, is from the movie, protraying Zira, Cornelius and Lucius, along with a couple of gorillas, whereas the inside parody was of the TV show. But that was alright by me, being an ardent Zira-lover as I was (and still am).








Bonus: Below, a two-page poster from the teen magazine "Spec," once again bought in 1974 at a corner 7-11 using the excuse of buying it for my (non-existent) little sister. I'm sure the clerk was used to hearing that from me after awhile as I bought teen girl's mags for whatever genre nugget I found in them. Humiliating it might have been, but nothing stopped me from my collecting, not even "the step-father" who was constantly on my case about it, irritatedly demanding "when are you going to grow up?" Well, "daddy-o," sorry to disappoint, but here I am at 50 years old and I still haven't.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, that SPEC page was one item I used to have that I never expected to see again! I clipped out the pic of Roddy sans makeup and dedicated one of my 28 movie ad scrapbooks to him! What's that? YOU clipped movie ads, too! I think you may be my new favorite person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Booksteve,

    Glad you enjoyed the flashback! I never throught anyone reading this would also have the poster!

    Do you still have any of your multitude of scrapbooks? What a treasure trove those would be today for a blog.

    ReplyDelete