Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Amazing Spider-Man #42

Comics were the first thing I collected as a kid that I actually kept, and I still have each one I bought growing up. Sadly, not very many of the pre-1970 issues are in good enough shape to be worth much to a collector; but they are worth a lot to me for the memories they invoke. This time we look at my dog-eared copy of "The Amazing Spider-Man" #42, published in 1966, in which Peter meets Mary Jane for the first time, and she utters the famous line "Face it, Tiger... you just hit the jackpot!" I'm guessing MJ didn't have a problem with self-esteem or confidence.


(Click on images to enlarge; once the image loads,
you may have to click it again to view full-size.)

Below is the first page, a great full-page drawing of Spidey as he seemingly robs a bank. Spidey's life is the manifestation of the saying "no good deed goes unpunished."

And lastly, the final page with the famous last panel, as Peter's jaw drops and his pants get tight. Notice that he is not looking at her face in that scene.



From the same issue comes the ad below for the Marvel super-hero cartoons that were playing at the time, the fondly-remembered short episodes that it was a stretch to call "animated." Today we would label them "motion comics," which are comic panels with some elements that slide around the screen, and limited arm and leg motions, accompanied by dialog, music and sound effects. "When Captain America throws his mighty shield!" (Click here to visit a page with the audio.)



For more information about this issue, with a comprehensive review, visit this site:

http://www.samruby.com/AmazingSpider-ManA/amazing_spiderman_042.htm

2 comments:

  1. Yup, MJ sort of overcame all PP's shyness in an instant, didn't she.

    P.S. - cool site! I've lunk to you from my blog. Great if you fancy listing my blog on your site -
    http://test-vaccine-93-b-71.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... I am posting a link to your blog- would you like to do likewise?
    http://atomic-annhilation.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete