Monday, June 29, 2009

1990 Starlog article on Kim Hunter (Zira)

(Click on images to view larger size.)

Today's item from the collection cabinets is an article from Starlog Issue #160, published November 1990. My absolute fascination and love affair with Kim Hunter's Zira began in 1973 when I finally saw the first movie, and it's never ended. My heart beats a little faster whenever she's onscreen, and my favorite scene was when she kissed Taylor... who was the viewer by proxy. Very few that I've come across share or even understand my appreciation for the beauty of Zira, but I melt when she wrinkles her muzzle and her eyes sparkle as she says, "You wouldn't hurt me, would you... Taylor?" The makeup design for Hunter was thinner and more flexible than anyone else's on the set, and they made an extra effort to make her attractive. In my mind, they succeeded!






Below, my all-time favorite photo of Zira, which I call the "Mona Zira." If the Ape civilization had it's Michaelangelo, surely she would have been his subject and model!

Below, a press kit publicity photo of the star-crossed, yet ill-fated, lovers.
And lastly, a scan of a color 8 x 10 photo from my scrapbook.


Finally, below is a pencil drawing I did of Zira about 1974 or thereabouts; I was about 15 at the time.


We'll see more of the First Lady of the Apes on this blog as time goes by, you can be sure of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment