Wednesday, June 24, 2009

June 1989 "Time" article on Batman movie

(Click on images to view larger version.)


"Time" magazine article on Batman from June 19, 1989.
It's very hard to believe that it was twenty years ago last Tuesday, June 23rd, Tim Burton's breakthrough Batman movie opened. It just doesn't seem like that long to me. But it has been, and I've seen nothing online commemorating that in my (admittedly limited) web browsing. It was looking through stuff to post on my "Held Over!" blog, posted the first Batman movie ad, then realised: "Holy Coincidence, Batman!" I was only off one day in posting it 20 years after it premiered! So, here are a few items from the old scrapbooks. starting off with the most mainstream of venues, "Time" magazine.


A couple of articles from the local WV newspaper where I lived at the time it came out...
This was only lucky dude in the clipping below, but the car had no engine! I wonder what he ever did with it... probably sold it to some collector or museum. What good is a Batmobile if you can't hop in and tool around town after dark?
Below, from USA Today, a trio of Jokers yuk it up in line waiting for the movie to open.


Here's the newspaper ad I posted over on "Held Over!"


Below you'll see one of the press kit publicity photos for the movie.


1 comment:

  1. i love batman 1989 a legend movie that should be on forever... jack Nicholson's role can never be replaced by anyone else from joker4bex fan x

    ReplyDelete