Wednesday, June 17, 2009

1977 "Time" Star Wars article

(Click on images to view larger sizes.)


The article posted this time was clipped by me from the May 30, 1977 issue of Time magazine. I had been following the articles in various other magazines with interest, like Starlog and Famous Monsters. But this was the first in a mainstream publication that I had found, and it came out the same week the movie did, before I or most people had seen it. Hope you enjoy this look back to a time when it was possible to read something fresh and new about Star Wars before it became the phenomenon that it did.






Looking at that photo of Kenny Baker made me realise that it was a good thing he wasn't claustrophobic in the least, or he would have been in trouble!

Also, don't forget to visit my other fun genre blogs: "My Star Trek Scrapbook," "My Monster Memories," "Held Over!" newspaper movie ads, and "Sweet Skulls." Between "Fantastic Flashbacks" and the others, the Fred blogging experience is a sensory overload of nostalgic goodness!

10 comments:

  1. Awesome.

    Makes me want to watch it for the 1000th time right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Star-Wars is considered soft-core by Sci-Fi fans." It's amazing what changes 30 years can bring about, isn't it?

    Now we are the stereotype for Sci-Fi geeks, I've been called a Star Wars geek many, many times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent article posting from TIME. Newsweek also ran a similar feature that same week in 1977. I would love to see that again as well if you come across it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had all of those pictures taped to my bed room walls for YEARS when I was a kid. I saw it a few weeks after it's initial release and it's safe to say to forever changed my life. I was lucky enough to get to see it at one of the biggest screen in the country at the time: The Uptown Theater in Washington D.C. (screen size 21 meters wide!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's a question that's been puzzling me: who *wrote* this article? There's no by-line, which most of the longer "Time" articles have. (I think this was true back in '77 too.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I remember reading that Time article in 7th grade study hall! It's such a rush not having seen something in years (decades, in this case) and to immediately be stricken with remembrance! Can't wait to read it again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you have a copy of the May 19, 1980 Time magazine that explained the 9 part outline for the saga?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I found what you're after...
      http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sequel_trilogy

      Delete
  8. hey guys this is a great source for my dissertation doe any one know who wrote the article ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Either Richard Schickel or Frank Rich wrote it.

    ReplyDelete